Wednesday 21 January 2015

On Style Ruts and Wardrobe Architects


 I don't often broach the subject of style.  Like I mentioned before, I do like that "basic bitch" sort of look but lately I've been in such a work style rut. If I have to wear another patterned shirt under embellished sweater combo, someone better shoot me because my tolerance for work appropriate prep is nearing an end. And that is where Wardrobe Architect and Into Mind's 10 Step Wardrobe Revamp and workbook might come in handy. 


Gerry's, from PBunnieP, video clued me into Wardrobe Architect's 14 week blog series which explores personal style and ideas for creating a more meaningful wardrobe. 

It wants to help you avoid situations where you...
- acquire things you don’t use.
- feel regret over purchases.
- tend to buy quantity over quality more than you’d like.
 -buy things that are “close enough.”
- don’t have a chance to think very deeply about your purchases (ie. environmental or ethical impact)
- go for the bright and shiny instead of the fabrics you really like to wear.
- make/buy clothes that don’t really fit your life well (another party dress?)
- have an overwhelmingly long list of sewing projects you want to make and no idea of how to prioritize them. This can actually be kind of stressful for me.
- feel like your wardrobe is all over the place.
- don’t know how to put outfits together from what you have, so you keep acquiring more instead.
(list taken from Wardrobe Architect)

...through creating your own clothes. The focus is really to help synthesize your tastes and prioritize your sewing projects. But since I don't sew and I wanted a little more handholding to explore my style, the more intensive 85pg workbook from Into Mind might actually be for me. I want to explore exactly what outfits make me feel awesome, and why I always feel like I'm sacrificing my style when I go to work and this book might just help me do it.

love the styles on the right...but wear something like the beige trench combo to work instead...too preppy!
It will help you:
- dissect your current wardrobe
- discover your unique style preferences
- analyse your lifestyle
- create a colour palette
- select your key proportions
- map out your style concept
- develop a signature look
- work out a basic wardrobe structure
- build your capsule wardrobe
- create a complete inventory for your wardrobe which helps solidify your style, create a capsule wardrobe and stop you from buying clothes you'll only wear once.

Into Mind has been a great little discovery. There are also helpful articles like:  5 questions to ask before buying and  how to buy less and stop overspending.


So, with these two tools combined, I'm hoping to analyze my choices and tastes, create more outfits from the items I have and incorporate my style into my life. That, and stop acquiring things that are "close enough" but not "good enough".

A whole year of thoughtful purchases, could you do it? Have you felt the need to reconstruct your wardrobe?

Let's Connect:

0 comments:

Post a Comment