Friday 16 January 2015

Frugal Vs Spendy: A Look at My Price Tolerance

Friends often ask how much I spend on makeup. Sometimes I wonder too. So here is a document of the cheapest and most pricey item I have in my collection per category. I took that direction somewhat loosely. Some items were bought with points or on sale but I wanted to see what my price tolerance was and I think this is a reminder that you don't have to fork over a lot of actual money to get really good things. 

I hope you don't mind? *insert usual disclaimers re: non-showing-off intentions*


Bases

Foundations: Revlon Colorstay Whipped ($11 on sale) vs. Estee Lauder Perfectionist ($50)
I received the Estee from PR but it was the only more high priced foundation I have with me right now. I had the Urban Decay Naked Skin ($45) but I actually paid $24 for it from a blog sale. I think the most expensive I've actually paid has been around $45 for an Estee BB Cream.

Powders: Maybelline Dream Matte Powder (~$11 on sale) vs. MAC Careblend Pressed Powder ($31)
I really like the Maybelline, even more than the MAC! And I would repurchase if it hadn't been discontinued. I will try their latest incarnation of their powder after these two are done.



Cheek Products
Blush: MUA ($2!!!!) vs. YSL Kiss and Blush ($45)
I though my cheapest blush was WetnWild's Pearlescent Pink ($5 top left) but it's actually the UK MUA blush which costs 1 British Pound (and it's SO GOOD). It's hard to get here so if you're factoring travel or shipping, the WetnWild might still be cheaper.

Highlighter: MAC Lightscapade ($30 at IMATS, usually $37) vs. Hourglass Lighting Powders ($52)
I have the Sephora sample of Benefit's Watt's Up which is my favorite highlighter but I don't know how much that actually is. I barely use Lightscapade but really enjoy my Hourglass lighting powder.

Contour/Bronzer: NYX Taupe ($4) vs. Essence Sun Club ($3) vs. Guerlain Four Seasons (free with Optimum points but it's $84)
That Guerlain is crazy expensive. I definitely did NOT want to pay actual cash and happily traded my Optimum points for it.


Eye Product

Mascara: Annabelle Instaglam ($10?) vs. Lancome Grandiose ($35)
Both of these are actually from PR but they're around the range of what I'm willing to spend on mascara. I've bought the Fairydrops Mascara which is around $30 but I've also bought Maybelline which is around $12. I tend to use a mascara till it dies, instead of the safe 3-5 months so I don't mind spending more sometimes.

Eyeliner: Annabelle Stay Sharp ($4 on sale), Sephora Contour Eyepencils ($12) vs. Lancome 24hr Artliner ($42)
I've received the Annabelle Stay Sharps from PR so I didn't want that to count but then I remembered I bought more when they were on sale during black friday. The Sephora contours liners are so creamy. I would really encourage giving them a test run. The Lancome liner...I'm embarrased to say, I have two, which I actually paid for...and haven't used either. *hangs head in shame*

Single Eyeshadow: WetnWild Nutty ($2.50) vs. Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill (usually $42)
I LOVE NUTTY! It's the best and everyone needs to own this shade. It's only $2.50!!!!
As for the GA Eyes to Kill, this older sister of the L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadows is where my crazy makeup brain goes to work. I hunted down a LE shade and after shipping/duties it was more that $42 but I swear, the formula is so worth it. So in love. No real justification but so in love.


Eyeshadow Palette
This one is slightly complicated. If we're talking just sticker price:
WetnWild Trios (~$4 with three shadows) vs. Urban Decay Vice 3 Palette ($72 with 20 shadows)

If we're talking the cost of each shade:
WetnWild 8 pan ($5 at $0.63 per shade) vs. Chanel Tisse Vendome ($61 at $15.25 per shade, but I got this at the Duty Free for $55 at $13.75 per shade)

I love eye shadows so this is a major money black hole for me.


Lip Products

Lipliner: NYX ($4) vs. Make Up For Ever Lip Line Perfector ($16 at IMATS, usually $23)
Aside from my love of the Annabelle liners, I'm still waffling about lip liners. The MUFE one gets used though and it has been awesome in general.

Lip Balm: Blixtex Lip Medex ($3-4) vs. Korres Butter Glaze ($18.50)
I have bought SO many of the Lip Medex balms and will continue to do so. The Korres are such a nice fluidy balm though and I wish they hadn't stopped carrying them at Sephora.

Lip Gloss: NYX Megashine Lipglosses ($5) vs. Dior Addict ($31)
These two brands were my first foray into glosses and I haven't really bought much more. I'm not a huge gloss person but I wore that Dior so much last spring and summer, even more than all my NYX glosses.

Lipstick: WetnWild ($3) vs. Guerlain Rouge G (free with Optimum but it's $53)
I got the WetnWild from PR but the cheapest I've paid for lipstick has been $5. Again, Guerlain is crazy expensive so I was happy to give up points for one try at their Rouge G formula. I chose a LE shade from last autumn and loved it. So creamy but there's a bit of a taste. The most I've actually paid for lipstick was $39 for the YSL Pur Couture.

-------------

This isn't a tag but I'm curious to see responses from Gummy, Jen and Steph, among other people.

So now that I've aired out my dirty laundry and you're probably disgusted (or feel the adrenaline rush of a true (and unfortunate) makeup junkie) ....

How about you?
 Let's Connect:

0 comments:

Post a Comment