Saturday 1 March 2014

DIY Lightbox for Product Photos

(Unfortunately photos in this post were lost due to The Great Deletion of 2014. Some efforts to re-do photos will be made but not all posts will be redone.)

I took a photo of my DIY lightbox on my instragram and it got a few questions so I thought I'd do a post on it.

DIY light box for product photography how to
All you need is a cardboard box, a white sheet of poster paper and white thin material to cover the sides. Here I used an old white t-shirt but you can also use tracing paper (which might be better since it's thinner).

Cut square holes on the top and sides, stick the white poster board inside and VOILA, you have a light box. I've only one lamp but in my dreams, I would have one lamp for each side of the box to get rid of all the shadows completely. Still, even with one lamp (with a soft white bulb), the photos are far superior than without any of this contraption.

DIY light box for product photography how to
Here are the results with the lovely Naked 1 palette as the model. I didn't edit anything in these photos, so you can see the comparison.

with the box
without box
swatches with box

swatches without box
The box gives you closer to true-color photos. It also helps distribute light onto the product evenly but diffusely. In the winter time, this might be a good option for those who want to do product photography when the sun is down. This is also great for doing some of my instragram photos at 7am in the winter when the sun isn't shining.

Hope you found this helpful. Do you see a difference?

Follow me on:

0 comments:

Post a Comment