Monday 29 August 2016

Instant Excitement (ft. Mary Kay Gel Semi-Matte Lipsticks)*


I saw the Mary Kay Gel Semi Matte* lipsticks ($21CDN) and immediately was impressed by the packaging. The emblem looks lux. The color selection was well curated. I wanted to try them, now.



I often let items sit for a long time when I receive a package; photos need to be taken before I sully a product's virginity. But when these came, I took photos as soon as I could because Poppy Please was calling out to be used immediately. I don't often feel such an impulse. 


These lipsticks have a lightweight full color gel formula which are supposed to glide and cushions lips. Ultrafine silica microspheres embed and retain colour on the surface of lips. They provide a soft-focus effect and optical enhancers scatter light and blur the appearance of minor imperfections. 








Sunflower oil and jojoba esters are supposed to help condition lips. When used, these are full color coverage with no heaviness on the lips. There is a slight velvet feel and yes, a semi-matte finish. Though they didn't dry out my lips drastically, a well scrubbed lip is necessary (as with all mattes) to avoid dry-patch cling. The color needs to be reapplied after meals. Though light staining was in effect, a reapplication is necessary to avoid patchiness. 


I love the shade selection and I received lots of compliments when I wore Poppy Please to work, even from the guys! In general though I didn't love these as much as my excitement made me want to. They are less drying than other mattes but reapplication through the day somehow made my lips look drier than they actually were. If I had a good base lip, this wouldn't be as much of a problem so I would still consider these but given how cheap the NYX matte lipsticks are (which I do love), its hard for me to recommend these outright.

0 comments:

Post a Comment