Saturday 12 November 2016

12am Denny's Grand Slams


A couple of weeks ago, a friend turned 29. If you don't already know, you can get a free Denny's Grand Slam on your birthday and it was his little heart's birthday desire to have dessert at True Confections followed by a midnight, just turned 29, free birthday meal at Denny's. Being a close friend, I couldn't deny him the simple pleasures of excessive sugar followed by diner breakfast foods so I, alongside another, put aside our bedtimes and accompanied him on this food mission.


Calling me out at all hours of the night, with a post midnight return means that my makeup tactics are simple. My powder based makeup looked homely in comparison to that of the shivering girls we passed, lined up to enter the nightclubs on Davie Street. (I don't miss any of those sorts of nights, though to be honest, I didn't have that many of those sorts of nights to miss.) 


I didn't want to fuss with a full double cleanse when I came home so I used Vichy's Teint Ideal Illuminating Powder Foundation* in light to even my skin, the Urban Decay Naked One Palette to shade and line my eyes, and Tarte's Exposed to give some life back into my cheeks. Using powder as liner gives an extremely subtle effect that still works. Annabelle's Skinny Brow Liner* and Make Up For Ever's Full Cover were my only non-powder concessions.


If you've never been to the Denny's on Davie (Vancouver's Gay Village) around midnight, don't make any special trips. But if you happen to find yourself in the need for super fluffy pancakes but less than impressive breakfast meats, and are just coming out of Celebrities, then you'll realize that Denny's on Davie has an interesting cast of characters on a late Saturday night; kids in 90's outfits, people washing up and changing in the bathroom and a few guys trying too hard to impress their girls. This isn't fine dining, the menu photos look more impressive than the items that arrive at your table, and mounted TVs offer another distraction aside from the clientele but it was a great evening spent with friends, catching up and sharing an Original Grand Slam. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment