Saturday 27 February 2016

Skincare Shakeup: Repairing Dehydrated Skin


My skincare sits in drawers and I often forget about them. I have the vague idea that there's a interesting serum to try but inertia keeps me from switching up my routine. Usually I just keep using whatever is in my bathroom cabinet even if I'm only so-so about it. After a wonderful facial at Skoah, I realized that my skin was severely dehydrated and that was the impetus to switch up what I had.


Before
I've been using items that I've received in the mail but some are less than inspiring. The current routine isn't giving me enough hydration and oils; I'm starting to consider incorporating an oil into my routine to tackle that deep dehydration. 

The Schaf Skincare* items are nice and good for you but not what I needing right now. There's a review coming up soon.

I was going to pass on the Estee Lauder Nutritious Vitality8* but when I tried it, it really softened my skin. Sometimes I mix it in with Dermalogica's Skin Hydration Booster* and get on with my weekend. It works well for a casual day at home or in between your morning and night face washing but I need more right now.

David hates the smell of the Miracle10 AHA Cream. Though I love the results, the jar has been open for more than a year now and it's a little more pungent than when it was new so its going into the recycling.

I'm giving up the Vichy Normaderm 3-in-1 Cleanser, Scrub and Mask because it is intense. It really draws out your oils. That's what I used to look for but I've done enough damage to my skin that this isn't the direction I should be heading now. 


With some things out, there's space for a skincare revamp. I've placed morning and night items onto seperate shelves and am refocusing my skincare tactics.

For the morning: I'm still keeping the DHC Powder Face Wash* but including the Dermalogica's Total Eye Care* SPF 15. I don't want a heavy feeling in the morning, so I'll using the EL toner and the Skin Hydration Booster with a water based moisturizer (Laneige Water Bank Cream*). I'm going to try the Kiehl's Daily Reviving Concentrate* which is a light facial oil to energize your skin in the mornings.

For the evening:  Still using the DHC face wash but nighttime is when I'm focusing on oils. L'Occitane's Comfort Cream (Light) has 5% shea butter in it and is just a soft creamy dream when used. Jane gave me a small extra of Tata Harper's Resurfacing Mask* which I know will do my skin some wonders if I use it once a week (I've been warned that I'm over exfoliating my skin and with too harsh scrubs). I'm also trying the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate* and the Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution*. I'm also thinking of incorporating the Skinceuticals Serum 10* which is supposed to be super powerful for antiaging.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to layer these products on and this will be an interested test of trial and error. They will probably be incorporated slowly to avoid a skin freakout but I'm hoping the focus on water in the mornings and oils in the evening will help my dehydration and that moving from physical to chemical and less frequent exfoliation use will improve the top layer of my skin which has started to break and flake when scratched. 

It's always such a gamble with skincare but I'm happy that I've pulled out these new items which I've been keen on trying.

When do you switch up your skincare? Is it purposeful or whenever you feel like it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment