Saturday 1 August 2015

Purgoo Tea Detox



There have been a lot of detox tea options coming out lately, or I've been noticing them more on social media. Purgo, from Victoria BC, promises to cleanse, boost metabolism and reduce bloating. The ingredients are all natural and contain no laxatives or gluten.





The Morning Detox is drunk everyday before breakfast. The 30g pouch contains Sencha, goji, Dandelion, Lemon Grass, Hibiscus, Camomile, Acai and Ginseng. A lot of these ingredients have a slight herbal bitterness and a friend noted how this tasted like grass. I can see where she's coming from. Sencha sometimes has a very green sort of flavor which is not like the sweeter flavored teas of say, Davids Tea. Since I am used to this sort of taste, the flavor didn't effect my enjoyment of the tea.

I found it hard to have this before breakfast since I usually try to eat breakfast before heading to work. Making and drinking a cup of hot tea actually takes a while, which cut down my 'getting-ready' time in the morning. I worked around the issue by bringing breakfast to work and because I had filled some of my stomach with the tea, the need to eat something was delayed.



The Evening Cleanse is drunk every other day. It doesn't say when during the evening but usually I drank this after my dinner or sometime slightly before dinner. The 15g pouch contains Locust Plant, Sencha, Key Lime, Lotus Leaf, Cassia Seed, Puerh, Oolong and Camomile. I was slightly surprised that this was suggested for an evening tea since some of these ingredients have caffeine in them which made me hesitant to drink it right before bed. However, on some days, I did drink it close to bed time and didn't notice any change in my ability to fall asleep.

This had the slightly honeyed taste that Camomile can give alongside the slight bitterness that I associate with Pu'erh. I didn't think it tasted too much different that the teas I sometimes get during dim sum. I didn't get any stomach side effects from the drink.



Overall Experience

Overall I did not lose weight from the tea. I did feel more energized but I didn't feel particularly more energized than I would have felt had I drank any other tea. I was drinking one cup of black tea in the mornings before I tried the detox. I don't think I was less bloated and I didn't look any less bloated. During the two weeks I drank the tea, I did lose about 1 inch off my waist but this was more likely due to the increased amount of exercise (3x/week to 5x/week) during the weeks prior and through the detox and my general awareness of what I was eating. The tea did give me a physical sense of fullness though which allowed me to delay breakfast and helped cut down one snack. The amount of tea provided lasts for slightly more than 14 days.

Broadly speaking, drinking tea can help with energy levels and can help you manage your eating. Having liquid in your stomach may contribute to physically fullness. I notice that sometimes I eat things just because I'm bored and not because I'm hunger.y Switching that habit to sipping tea instead, is a shift in the right direction if you're looking to avoid overeating. Having the tea at the end of the day especially helps me in this regard. When I'm hoping for dessert, I reach for a sweeter tea which keeps me feeling full (not stuffed).  Whether this particular combination of tea is the exact recipe your looking for, is up to you.

If you'd like you can try Purgo, you can get 5% off by using the code: "zenteatox".

0 comments:

Post a Comment